Saturday, October 27, 2007

Real SAHM!

Well, I did it. I would never have thought that I would, but on Thursday last week I became an official Stay-At-Home-Mum.

Lily is nearly 4 months old now and with the end of the year approaching I decided that it was time to make a decision one way or the other. I know my boss was planning staff for next year, so it was quite timely.

I have been teaching for 7 years, in that time I have moved up quite quickly, with my position at the time of going on maternity leave being a senior teacher with a team of 6 other teachers. It was quite a demanding role, in a rather progressive school. I would often work from 7am until 5 or 6 pm, and still have some work to do at home. There were many meetings and a lot of professional development. All very exciting and stimulating when you are passionate about your work, which I was.

And then my passions shifted. This little bundle came into our lives and changed everything. Thinking about putting her into daycare cut at my heart (amusing really, as previously I worked for a daycare that took children from 3 months), and my husband felt the same. (Actually, he was probably even more against the idea than I!) We looked at the money situation (not great, but we can get by for a while) and the decision was made.

So...I visited school, showed off my daughter to the staff and children, then let my boss know that I wasn't coming back. I know I am not irreplaceable, so I wasn't worried about letting them down. Letting them down would be me not telling them of my intentions until the last possible minute. This way they can plan for next years classes and make the best staffing choices they can.

And now I embark on a new adventure. Last week I was a mother on maternity leave. Now I am a real stay-at-home-mum. Quite a change.

No comments: